找回密码
 FreeOZ用户注册
楼主: yping88
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[travel] A getaway in Tasmania

[复制链接]
91#
 楼主| 发表于 30-11-2014 18:12:27 | 只看该作者
I uploaded the notice board that explains what the Great Divide serves geographically, so I can cut myself some slack and doze off for a bit!!! Lol, Lol, Lol

While I am dozing off, I would like to throw at you guys a serious question:

If the hitch-hikers put their thumbs up at you hoping that you would stop for them to give them a lift, would you deliver to them what they hoped? Is there still the faith in the strangers existing as was previously?

Here, I have a confess to make to all of you that, somewhere near the Great Divide, we didn't make the stop for three young men who indicated their cry for help by putting the thumbs up and kept driving off past them. However, looking at the three of them from the rear mirror, all with the huge backpacks, we started questioning ourselves whether we made any sense by driving past someone who was hoping for help! And this question is still haunting me by this moment!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +20 收起 理由
melfes + 20 good conscience.it strikes me as well

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

92#
 楼主| 发表于 30-11-2014 18:35:57 | 只看该作者
Lake St Clair---The deepest freshwater lake in Australia.

It was raining and overcast the first day (08/11/14) we got there, and the photos turned out a bit dark, but the lake came out in its serenity and calmness presentation!
回复  

使用道具 举报

93#
 楼主| 发表于 30-11-2014 18:40:43 | 只看该作者
You could actually label the shrubs with the animal's name--Crane, duck, chasing one another? Give it a go and see what you could come up with, please!!!
回复  

使用道具 举报

94#
 楼主| 发表于 30-11-2014 18:55:26 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 1-12-2014 08:26 编辑

The vegetation and floral trees along the walking tracks around Lake St Clair!!!

Please take notice of the Myrtle beech among them, I could use it as a make-up present for me not being strong and brave enough to get on with the Overland track walking and appreciate the Deciduous beech in the highland! And I had come to terms with it already!!!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
webster + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

95#
 楼主| 发表于 30-11-2014 18:59:54 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 30-11-2014 22:19 编辑

Hey, good-looking, who are you kidding? Lol

评分

参与人数 2威望 +100 收起 理由
zelovehit + 50 谢谢分享!
webster + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

96#
 楼主| 发表于 30-11-2014 21:58:13 | 只看该作者
Water down-poured from the high mountains (where the overland track winds through) runs beside Lake St Clair and then empties into Derwent River, which races along the windy terrain amid the mountains, east-bound to Hobart where it continues as River Derwent, the latter then forms a beautiful harbor for Hobart before meeting Tasman Sea!  

评分

参与人数 2威望 +100 收起 理由
愚夫 + 50 I love water ~~~~~
webster + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

97#
 楼主| 发表于 30-11-2014 22:09:14 | 只看该作者
A heart-warming sign stands in the exit in the accommodation we stayed in!

The owner of the lodge moved from South Australia to Lake St Clair a few years ago and has lived a solitary and happy life! His opening remarks to my greetings was: "Well, I am living in Lake St Clair national park, then, I think I am terrific!"

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
webster + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

98#
 楼主| 发表于 7-1-2015 16:12:15 | 只看该作者
Had such a long, long break by now, how have you all been? Guess I should now probably pick up from where I left off, no matter how much of a couch potato I have been!

回复  

使用道具 举报

99#
 楼主| 发表于 7-1-2015 16:28:23 | 只看该作者
First of all, I would like to refresh your memory on the scenic views of Lake St Clare---If you remember what it looked like in the previous posts during an overcast day, you would be amazed how much a different presentation it greets you with!
回复  

使用道具 举报

100#
 楼主| 发表于 7-1-2015 16:48:30 | 只看该作者
The dense vegetation around Lake St Clare sighted from the cruise---I just couldn't help but be fascinated constantly by the diversity, density and sustainability of the vegetation in Cradle Mountain-St Clair National Park.

If you happen to notice those dry, whitish, seems petrified trunks sticking out from the forest, please be aware that they were left there by the previous bush fire dated back to long, long time ago.

A feature that makes Tasmanian woods stand out in construction industry is: They are termite resistant. The captain of the cruise was telling us in very much confidence that the logs from Tasmania's forests never have to be anti-termite processed!
回复  

使用道具 举报

101#
 楼主| 发表于 8-1-2015 07:15:58 | 只看该作者
回复  

使用道具 举报

102#
 楼主| 发表于 8-1-2015 07:26:23 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 13-1-2015 22:14 编辑

One of the rejuvenate huts--Narcissus hut, which sits near Narcissus bay along the over-land track on Lake St Clare's side, which provides 4 beds and a simple furnace for the trekking heroes to take a shelter during the extended, physically and psychologically taxing expedition!

Apparently, there would not be enough beds for everyone if the over-land track were over populated, that's why in the popular season (1 Oct--1 May), the hikers have to book their entrance just to be sure every hiker would be able to take shelter inside the huts during the freezing night!
回复  

使用道具 举报

103#
 楼主| 发表于 8-1-2015 07:54:16 | 只看该作者
The log book located in the information centers both on Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clare sides, and all rejuvenate huts along the over-land track! It is mandatory for every over-land hiker to sign in before they start the trek and sign off when they finish it. This personal protection statement would enable the park authorities to keep track of the hikers' whereabouts should the rescue be required, during which they could track down the hiker's trace by checking all log books and find out which location the hikers last signed off!

From those log books, I was once again stricken by the emotion that how much respect Australia pays to the traveler's safety and life!
回复  

使用道具 举报

104#
 楼主| 发表于 8-1-2015 14:42:01 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 8-2-2015 15:12 编辑

Jason, a gentleman the cruise picked up from Narcissus bay in Lake St Clair after his 6-day adventure on over-land track commenced in Cradle Mountain entrance. This guys looks around 30 years old and has been constantly traveling around Australia away from his native base--Tasmania. All the years he has hit the road, he just gets by by holding onto the casual jobs from place to place. After working in Darwin for two years, he once drove himself all the way from Northern Territory to Port Melbourne in about 7 days.

Looking at the pride on his face while he was talking about his traveling experience, I couldn't help wondering: Why couldn't I go wild for once, leaving behind the pressure that I, myself, imposed on my shoulders, just get on the road without worrying about anything! Why couldn't I just go crazy for once taking myself to Overland track to cover even half of the trek if I am not capable of the whole journey? Why not?

Oh, wait! I guess I am not young enough, I am not strong enough, and I am not cut for the strenuous action on the extreme condition either. Then, I would like to throw this burning question at some adventurers in this forum, if you are well prepared, equipped, extremely cold-resistant and well-experienced to tackle the surviving odds, would you do it?  

Please be advised that it's not a challenge but a naive question that has been bothering me ever since my trip in Cradle Mountain--Lake St Clair national park!!!

Today (8/2/15), I accidentally found out that @到处流浪  his wife @一名京人 conquered this track in a group of 7 in 2012. Here is the link: http://freeoz.org/ibbs/forum.php ... id=68127&page=2

Hats off to you all, folks! You all are the legends!
回复  

使用道具 举报

105#
 楼主| 发表于 8-1-2015 14:58:16 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 8-1-2015 16:30 编辑

Another female who started her trek on the over-land track all by her own at about midday, she said she would only make it to a summit and head back to Lake St Clare base, which would take her about 6 hours!

Gazing at her marching into the distance, a strong feeling kept hovering around my head: Who would be able to gain the control over a woman as such who even dares to get on a trek as over-land trek all alone? Her strong spirit of independence still keeps me in awe until this very moment, and I guess any gentleman who is going to put a ring on her finger has to give up his so-called mannish power and pay her with the very respect while standing up equally in their relationship in order to win her over!

Way to go, girl!

I am very well aware that if you could do this on your own, you would be very independent in all sorts of relationships! You would allow nobody to walk all over you in your life!!!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
gyxy + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

106#
 楼主| 发表于 8-1-2015 15:06:18 | 只看该作者
An amateur captain who mistakenly believed that he could be in charge of our safety by steering the cruise under the real captain's close supervision!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
gyxy + 50 赞一个!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

107#
发表于 8-1-2015 15:06:24 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 30-11-2014 23:09
A heart-warming sign stands in the exit in the accommodation we stayed in!

The owner of the lodg ...

I always dream of myself living in bush.
Wonder if Tassies get bush fires. Ever so often hear and see that people in Victoria do.
The man wouldn't get town water. Would he? rain tanks?

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Good to see you again!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

108#
 楼主| 发表于 8-1-2015 15:20:44 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 13-1-2015 10:20 编辑
yearshappy 发表于 8-1-2015 16:06
I always dream of myself living in bush.
Wonder if Tassies get bush fires. Ever so often hear an ...

Yes, Tassie got bush fires too. The bush fires never excludes any place no matter how exceptionally beautiful it is!

I am not sure if Tassies need the water tank as we do in mainland Australia! The annual rainfall all across the west coast of Tasmania is about 1500-3000mm, and around 500mm as a minimum or above in the driest area in east coast! It seems that this island has rarely been short of rainfall!

评分

参与人数 2威望 +100 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 rainfalls help reduce the risk of bushfi
gyxy + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

109#
 楼主| 发表于 13-1-2015 09:28:25 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 13-1-2015 23:19 编辑

It became lighten up and the surrounding mountains started coming closer to us from the distance as the cruise marched to the east shore of the lake--Mount Ida on the left & western range of Walls of Jeruselam National Park on the right!

回复  

使用道具 举报

110#
 楼主| 发表于 13-1-2015 09:50:21 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 13-1-2015 11:08 编辑

History of the mountains around Lake St Clare: Most of the spectacular mountain peaks were formed by up to three ancient glacial advancements , occurring between two million and ten thousand years ago. The ridges and mounds of the valleys were formed by the rocks and gravel deposited as glacial ice moved and melted across the landscape.
(http://www.lakestclairlodge.com. ... lair-national-park/)

Some of the famous peaks were named after the explorers who found them or classically stemmed from Greek mythology, by Surveyor General George Frankland. And I will upload the pictures of some of them in the following thread with their names attached!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
gyxy + 50 你太有才了!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

111#
 楼主| 发表于 13-1-2015 09:59:09 | 只看该作者
Mount Ida---Mount Ida – a  craggy triangular summit jutting into the sky, best viewed across the lake from the western shore.
http://www.lakestclairlodge.com. ... lair-national-park/
回复  

使用道具 举报

112#
 楼主| 发表于 13-1-2015 10:28:42 | 只看该作者
回复  

使用道具 举报

113#
 楼主| 发表于 13-1-2015 10:35:28 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 13-1-2015 23:20 编辑

The western ranges of Walls of Jeruselam National Park viewed from the ferry on Lake St Clair!
回复  

使用道具 举报

114#
 楼主| 发表于 13-1-2015 10:44:28 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 13-1-2015 22:11 编辑

Mount Rufus on the left and Mount Hugel on the right.
回复  

使用道具 举报

115#
 楼主| 发表于 13-1-2015 20:58:48 | 只看该作者

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
gyxy + 50 赞一个!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

116#
 楼主| 发表于 13-1-2015 21:23:37 | 只看该作者
回复  

使用道具 举报

117#
 楼主| 发表于 14-1-2015 11:05:16 | 只看该作者
Pumphouse on the west shore of Lake St Clair

As you all are aware that Lake St Clair was formed at about 20,000 years ago when the glaciers on the surrounding mountains melted, the snow and freezing rain waters raced down from those alpine ranges and gave birth to Lake St Clair about 170 meters deep. This lake has been known as the deepest fresh water lake in Australia, and feeds into the Derwent river downstream, and lattter winds south-eastward all the way to Hobart, where it winds up as a harbour (still Derwent River) that hosts the finish line for the annual Sydney-Hobart yacht race.

Due to its formation and the steep landscape it was racing through, the lake itself harbored the huge, torrential waves that could be beneficial for a hydro-electronic power project.

Then, by 1940, an ambitious vision arrived upon the shore – to harness the awesome power of the lake and create a monument of mid-century industrialisation. Tasmania’s Hydro Electricity Scheme built a 5-storey pump-house, 900 feet out in the lake, to house enormous water turbines for their hydro-power system.  (http://www.pumphousepoint.com.au/story/#sthash.3JPGwvEf.dpuf)

Unfortunately, no matter what good faith this project was started in, it was only put in use once or twice to pump the water into the Derwent River when its level decreased in the rare dry seasons, it failed in its original commission the authorities expected. Then, with Lake St Clair's world-recognition as an outstanding wilderness heritage area, in 1995, the Pumphouse was decommissioned.

Nowadays, a recreational vision takes upper hand and has been put in reality. The pumphouse is being turned into a five-star hotel that will accommodate the tourists' needs. When this all is finishing up, there will be the hydroaeroplanes flying people to this tourist attraction!  

I don't think we will be surprised to see the first few groups of tourists as the rich Chinese! Are you guys picturing yourselves in it, guys?

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
gyxy + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

118#
 楼主| 发表于 14-1-2015 11:07:26 | 只看该作者
A beautiful way to farewell Lake St Clair!

So long, you! I will come back to you again one day in the near future!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
gyxy + 50 赞一个!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

119#
发表于 15-1-2015 12:32:36 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 8-1-2015 15:42
Jason, a gentleman the cruise picked up from Narcissus bay in Lake St Clair after his 6-day adventur ...

It's a matter of courage, attitude and one way of life, i suppose.
We make choices in life. This man made his choices.  Would I do it? wait till i'm older

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Haaahaaa

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

120#
 楼主| 发表于 19-1-2015 15:44:37 | 只看该作者
The ferry captain for our Lake St Clair cruising tour! Special acknowledgement to this gentleman for sharing with us his knowledge about the lake and its surroundings!

I would like to say that he is definitely way more than just a ferry captain! A huge thank-you to him for impressing us with not only the lake's breathtaking scenery, but his passionate spirit to allow us into his vast knowledge kingdom about Tasmania!   
回复  

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | FreeOZ用户注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|FreeOZ论坛

GMT+10, 23-4-2024 16:47 , Processed in 0.113671 second(s), 63 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.