找回密码
 FreeOZ用户注册
楼主: yping88
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[travel] A getaway in Tasmania

[复制链接]
61#
 楼主| 发表于 25-11-2014 23:01:52 | 只看该作者
Woohoo, we did it---Our partner raised his arm into the air and declared his pride!

But, as you could imagine, to make the way back down was nothing easier than the summit climbing itself! But, you knew well enough that you had absolutely no other choices but dragged yourself back down!

回复  

使用道具 举报

62#
 楼主| 发表于 25-11-2014 23:12:24 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 27-11-2014 08:31 编辑

Now, standing on the solid base of Cradle Mountain, I looked back up into the summit, it seemed to present itself with the different beauty and land-form in the blue backdrop.

Heeeheee, who is laughing now! I would say all the risk-taking activities were so worthwhile!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 this climbing is really an adventure, th

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

63#
 楼主| 发表于 25-11-2014 23:18:05 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 26-11-2014 08:39 编辑

Looking down from a higher altitude, I guess we were just the few people among dozens of others, in that particular day, who made it to the summit and were able to appreciate how the name of Dove Lake came about!
回复  

使用道具 举报

64#
发表于 26-11-2014 21:17:16 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yearshappy 于 26-11-2014 22:19 编辑
yping88 发表于 20-11-2014 12:31
Note written on the entrance to the information center in Strahan serves as a proof how the rest of  ...

You got me into Truchanas' life story

Found out his photo on the ABC Australian website

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 很给力!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

65#
发表于 26-11-2014 21:38:09 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 23-11-2014 17:27
The three-hour walking circuit around Lake Dove which looking up on Cradle Mountain from afar is a m ...

fabulous, these photos are much like the Chinese brush paintings.

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Glad you like them!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

66#
 楼主| 发表于 27-11-2014 07:15:13 | 只看该作者
yearshappy 发表于 26-11-2014 22:17
You got me into Truchanas' life story

Found out his photo on the ABC Australian website

Thanks you, Yearshappy!

I never thought I would be able to look him up. That's exactly how we look out for each other and pick up whatever the others have left, and learn together, grow up together!

Love the way you help out the others!
回复  

使用道具 举报

67#
 楼主| 发表于 27-11-2014 07:17:28 | 只看该作者
yearshappy 发表于 26-11-2014 22:38
fabulous, these photos are much like the Chinese brush paintings.

There will be a whole lot more to come bombarding your sight, please get yourself ready!   
回复  

使用道具 举报

68#
 楼主| 发表于 27-11-2014 07:24:20 | 只看该作者
Don't you scare us away just like that after we attended the previous halloween party in one of the walking tracks around the Cradle Mountain!
回复  

使用道具 举报

69#
 楼主| 发表于 27-11-2014 07:29:27 | 只看该作者
The water is running relentlessly along the winding path in the high altitude before emptying into Lake Dove!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
JunJun2013 + 50 好漂亮

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

70#
发表于 28-11-2014 13:24:39 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 14-11-2014 23:04
We have made it to Launceston tonight, but I am still in the awe how excited Hobart people have been ...

Good write-up and if you would not mind it could be more correct "in awe" leaving out "the"

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Very much appreciated!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

71#
发表于 28-11-2014 13:30:59 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 19-11-2014 14:58
Our 1st stop: Emu Valley-Rhododendron Garden

This garden is run totally by the volunteers who lov ...

Spectacular. Didnt know when we were down under...in the land down under.

Did you get to check out the eastcoast like Bicheno?

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Yes, we have!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

72#
发表于 28-11-2014 13:56:14 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 23-11-2014 21:43
I picked out these two photos and uploaded them separately here, because I would like to acknowledge ...

Just would love to help perfect writings specially when seeing good ones. Please let me know if its presumptuous of me to do so

1, she is a much devoted, knowledgeable staff who loves what she has been doing, and she addressed each devil by their names.

staff meant to be the whole group of employees. Staff member will be bang-on.

2, they are called devils is that they fight to death for their survival at the price of losing their own siblings and keep Law of Jungle (丛林法则) brutally alive in their own family

at the price of losing and "keeping" or "to keep" "the" law of "the"Jungle, depending on what you wanted to convey.

Cheers

评分

参与人数 2威望 +100 收起 理由
webster + 50 谢谢分享!
yping88 + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

73#
发表于 28-11-2014 14:08:05 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 25-11-2014 23:14
Before we were hit up with the tough rock climbing task, let me put aside a little bit moment for my ...

might be, a little bit" of" moment (id prefer to use time as moment is already a small fraction) or a little moment, you reckon?

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Please make yourself a regular in this s

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

74#
 楼主| 发表于 28-11-2014 15:23:30 | 只看该作者
melfes 发表于 28-11-2014 14:24
Good write-up and if you would not mind it could be more correct "in awe" leaving out "the"

Thank you for the correction!

Please come visit as often as you could and stay as a family in English section!
回复  

使用道具 举报

75#
 楼主| 发表于 28-11-2014 15:25:01 | 只看该作者
melfes 发表于 28-11-2014 14:30
Spectacular. Didnt know when we were down under...in the land down under.

Did you get to check  ...

Absolutely, we wouldn't miss out on the east coast for the world!

I will get into that, please stick around for more to follow!
回复  

使用道具 举报

76#
 楼主| 发表于 28-11-2014 15:32:47 | 只看该作者
melfes 发表于 28-11-2014 14:56
Just would love to help perfect writings specially when seeing good ones. Please let me know if it ...

Try to level FIGHT with KEEP, and see how it goes!

Perfect point on STAFF MEMBER, correction made!!!

"Law of jungle" "The law of the jungle" I guess either is fine!
回复  

使用道具 举报

77#
 楼主| 发表于 28-11-2014 15:59:51 | 只看该作者
After this adventure, the Cradle Mountain looks wonderfully different to me in many ways: It addressed my curiosity about what's really out there; it answered my question of how much I was capable of doing as far as mountain-climbing is concerned; it proved to me once again that I should never give up on anything without having my limit tested out.

I had my moment alone on our way down to the base!!!
回复  

使用道具 举报

78#
发表于 28-11-2014 17:31:16 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 28-11-2014 16:32

Perfect point on STAFF MEMBER, correction m ...

Try to level FIGHT with KEEP, and see how it goes

Right! point taken cheers
回复  

使用道具 举报

79#
发表于 28-11-2014 17:42:01 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 28-11-2014 16:32

Perfect point on STAFF MEMBER, correction m ...

"the Law of the Jungle" I think is a specific term and researching online a bit seems to back it up. But only my 2 cents; leave to you to decide.

Your photos are tantalisingly attractively, partly due to the fact I went to same places but did not explore as far as you did. Treads like yours keep this sub-forum lively. Much appreciated.

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 You are more than welcome to join this E

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

80#
 楼主| 发表于 28-11-2014 19:27:47 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 30-11-2014 08:04 编辑

Now, I would like to make an acknowledgement to this couple for the inspiration they have made on us! And I don't think we would have made through the whole trek if it weren't for their expertise instruction in mountain-climbing and their encouragement!

We met them in the information center while we were tossing up between "conquering the summit and leaving no regret" and "walking on the tracks around it and wondering what the fuss is all about being up there". The gentleman came up to us and asked directly: Are you two planning on climbing the summit today?

Me: "We have been talking about it ever since we got here! We will seriously consider getting there to the top if we can recruit more people as a team."

Him: "What a coincidence! My wife said exactly the same thing! How about we teaming up and giving this summit-climbing a crack?"

Me:  "Wow, I don't see any reason why not! Let's do it,  please!"

By the end of that day, I got to know their story a bit better! They are American Chinese who migrated to the States in their early 20s. As soon as their child grew up, they started exploring the world that they had been dreaming about. Till the day we met, they had explored 105 countries, which covered Asian countries, North, South & Central America, Europe, Africa, etc.

When he told us they have set their foot in Tassie twice, been to Uluru, Kakadu national park, Arnhem land, Upper north Queensland, most parts of Victoria & NSW, South & West Australia, I could hardly take a breath normally. Having been living in Australia for about 8 years, I could barely remember at that moment where exactly we have been to!

What shakes me to the core is that they have just started hitting the international roads when they turned 50, while the day we made it to the Cradle Summit was the gentleman's 6oth birthday, which he claimed as the best birthday present ever!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
welshzh + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

81#
 楼主| 发表于 28-11-2014 19:32:36 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 28-11-2014 21:18 编辑
melfes 发表于 28-11-2014 18:42
"the Law of the Jungle" I think is a specific term and researching online a bit seems to back it u ...

Care to join us in this English-land?

We will be thrilled if you pay this site a visit on a regular basis! Please, please!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 我很赞同!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

82#
 楼主| 发表于 28-11-2014 21:43:42 | 只看该作者
A King-Billy (King-William) pine: I uploaded a photo in previous post!

It has been listed as a threatened species with the bushfire posing the major risk for its declining numbers. It is an evergreen coniferous tree up to 40 meters high with a trunk up to 1.5 meter in diameter, endemic to Tasmania's cradle mountain region in a high, cold, wet and snowy altitude of 400-1200 meters. It has been famous for its longevity of 700-1000+ years.

回复  

使用道具 举报

83#
 楼主| 发表于 28-11-2014 23:28:29 | 只看该作者
Now, it feels extremely weird that I have been on and on about cradle mountain without even once mentioning the OverLand Track yet until this thread! But, to show you how significant this track is to those adventurous hikers, I would like to touch base with you on this track in details and I will come back to it again when I take you all through Lake St Clair!

This track is an internationally known walking trail that extends about 80+ kilometers in total. It winds through a mountainous terrain that starts from the cradle valley trekking southwards and ends at Lake St Clair at a altitude above 1000 meters high, with the highest at 1600+ meters on Mt Ossa's summit.  

It takes the average hikers about 6-7 days to complete this track, the hot season runs between 1st Oct and 31st May during which the weather becomes less harsh on the hikers. There are quite a few rehabilitation huts along the track for the hikers to shield themselves from the unbearable cold overnight and to rejuvenate themselves. The hikers must be very well equipped to fend off the extremely wild weather, which is ever-changing during one day from a perfect sunny morning, to unbelievably windy, to a stormy rainfall and even worse, to a blizzard! Over the recent years, two deaths have unfortunately taken place: One man died of a cardiac arrest and one woman died of hypothermia as a result of the unexpected blizzard and her less-preparation!

Having said that, there are still many adventurers (about 8000 a year) fighting against the tough odds and pulling themselves through this challenging journey!

Why is it so attempting and attractive?

Guess all of those who take up this challenge would consider this the toughest task they could possibly come across in their lifetime, and they put their potential on test and believe they would be omnipotent if they could shrug off this challenge! (Make sense?!)

More importantly, there are the most spectacular landscapes, unique vegetation that can only be appreciated along this track.

"The landscape was all carved by glaciers during the last ice age, and the prominent mountains are composed of dolerite columns." Along the way, the adventurers get to appreciate "the Lakes (Lake St Clair, Lake Will, Lake Windermere, Dove Lake); Mountains (Cradle Mountain, Barn Bluff, Mt Ossa, Mt Pelion East, Mt Pelion West, The Acropolis, Mt Rufus); Waterfalls (Hartnett Falls, Ferguson Falls, D'alton Falls)".

Vegetation wise, I would like to bring to your attention the deciduous beech, which grows nowhere else in the world except in Tasmania's high, cold mountains along the overland track. It will present its vast range of colors in its leaves in autumn, from rusty, bright red to pure golden color, and it will lose those colorful leaves in winter!

What do you reckon you can do now? Feel the urge to take yourself to the track?
回复  

使用道具 举报

84#
 楼主| 发表于 28-11-2014 23:38:28 | 只看该作者
Myrtle beech, which I mistakenly took for Deciduous beech until I double checked with a cruise captain who has been a well-experienced hiker on the overland track!
回复  

使用道具 举报

85#
 楼主| 发表于 29-11-2014 07:44:50 | 只看该作者
The courtesy reminder notice board at the entrance to different walks, which helps the hikers make a sound decision depending on their own assessment on themselves!
回复  

使用道具 举报

86#
 楼主| 发表于 29-11-2014 07:51:04 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 yping88 于 29-11-2014 09:00 编辑

08/11/14---From Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair

A deserted copper mine located southeast to Queenstown on the way to Lake St Clair --Iron Blow!

This copper mine was found initially as a gold one in the late 1880's and was taken over in 1892 by The Mount Lyell Mining Company, whose shareholders expanded its development more than just the limited gold resource--They found copper mining in the surrounding area, which is still currently in operation. However, the Iron Blow was phased out in early 1920s and is currently served as a tourist attraction. This deep hole full of jade-colored water is quietly sleeping in the heart of the town Gormanston, crying out to the tourists about its long-gone glory!

The little town silhouetted in the distance is town Gormanston, which was once accommodating a population 10,000 in its mining prime. But, with the copper mining phased out over time, the dwellers moved to its neighboring town--Queenstown, leaving only about 50 people in Gormanston's current population.

Nowadays, Queenstown has become the business center and Strahan the main port in this part of west coast!

Having said that, you can still feel from the photos the living green and life-loving attitude these current dwellers have shown!

So, no matter where we are, there is no reason for us not to live it to the most, don't you think so, my dear friends?
回复  

使用道具 举报

87#
发表于 29-11-2014 18:14:03 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 28-11-2014 20:27
Now, I would like to make an acknowledgement to this couple for the inspiration they have made on us ...

I wondered if it was yping when the picture was popping up on my screen.
a lovely couple, their story is truly inspirational!
My trip was cancelled because of the rain In the same time I'm glad to see my garden is as happy as ever. It at long last got a deep watering.
回复  

使用道具 举报

88#
 楼主| 发表于 30-11-2014 14:09:18 | 只看该作者
The landscape and vegetation on the way to Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park from Queenstwon eastwards!!!
回复  

使用道具 举报

89#
发表于 30-11-2014 14:09:48 | 只看该作者
yping88 发表于 28-11-2014 20:32
Care to join us in this English-land?

We will be thrilled if you pay this site a visit on a  ...

Cheers to both of you yr n yp for the invite. I would hang around when free

How to join the Anglo-land?
回复  

使用道具 举报

90#
 楼主| 发表于 30-11-2014 15:49:23 | 只看该作者
Please make a short stop on the Nelson Falls Track and appreciate the falls that hide in the end of the track! No matter how many great falls you have visited, I promise this small-scale one will definitely treat your eyes in a different sense due to the ancient rainforest along its way!!!

I have been well convinced that my special bond with the mountains and waters will dominate the theme of my future travel life!
回复  

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | FreeOZ用户注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|FreeOZ论坛

GMT+10, 20-4-2024 12:46 , Processed in 0.098351 second(s), 58 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.